Farming is a busy enterprise. It seems there is always a rush on, whether you’re trying to finish the day’s work before sunset or trying to get as much completed before the gathering clouds cast their rain or lightning on you.

In that rush to finish and get inside, we may not get everything tucked away as it should be. Or we may simply lack the space to get everything under roof, and we end up having to prioritise certain items over others. As you try to determine which pieces of equipment will get to come in and which ones will have to stay out, consider the unique features of the equipment itself, what conditions it can reliably tolerate, what space you have available at your place, and which items might be best storage at Donnybrook Storage.

 

All-day, every-day workers

Irrigation is a widespread activity on most farms during the growing season. For that reason, it is easy to think of irrigation gear as being weatherproof and not in need of inside storage. However, when rainfall is sufficient or the season has ended, every effort should be made to get pumps, lines, and other components indoors to keep them in good condition for the next use. Just because they handle water internally doesn’t mean they can handle it externally.

 

Tractors and motorised equipment

Extreme temperature swings from the rising and setting sun can cause a cycle of expansion and contraction that loosens connections and causes leaks in fuel lines, hydraulic lines, and even tires. Additionally, windblown dust can enter exhaust systems unchecked and cause damage to internal engine components. Airborne dirt is serious enough when the tractor is in operation, but a tractor left outdoors is pelted with dust as long as the wind blows, clogging filters and requiring more frequent replacement.

 

Precision seeders and spray rigs

Water and sun are the mortal enemies of materials like rubber and steel. The more exposure they experience, the more their condition degrades. With enough time outside, essential components and even structural areas can get in such bad condition that breakdowns can result. Before that stage, hoses can leak and affect proper flow rates of pesticides, and spray nozzles can lose their calibration. Application rates of seeders can also be distorted, resulting in uneven establishment and wasted seed.

 

Seasonal implements

There is no need to fill up scarce space with equipment that is in the way 95% of the time just to be ready for the other 5% of the time. Donnybrook Storage is a much better option. It permits you to keep things under roof for the vast majority of the year while having it close by for those times when it is the most important implement on the property. That frees up space on site without creating a constant travel burden to go retrieve it from storage.

 

Hard-to-maintain equipment

Certain implements can tolerate some time outdoors and will be ready to go with a quick inspection and some quality lubrication. Others may have grease fittings that are difficult to reach or areas where rust can develop undetected until it’s so severe that it requires major repairs. Broadly speaking, the larger and more complex an implement it is, the better the chance you’ll do best to avoid exposure to the elements and park it in Donnybrook Storage if your own buildings are too full to accommodate it.

 

Warrantied gear

When an implement is still sporting some of its original new shine, it may also still have a warranty in force. In that situation, it is very important to keep it protected from the elements and situated either in Donnybrook Storage or safely ensconced under your own roof. If not, any intrusion of water or dust that contributes to a mechanical issue could result in malfunctions that will not be covered under the manufacturer’s warranty, leading to a costly repair that would have been easy to avoid.

In so many ways, farmers are caretakers. They look after the health, growth, and well-being of animals. They plant, cultivate, and harvest crops. But the only way you can do those caretaking tasks effectively is if you are also a caretaker of your equipment and your space. With a careful review of what you use and when you use it, along with the space you have for it, you can create a plan to keep all your implements and equipment in the most effective and most logical place so that they can work reliably for you.